The Board of Directors at Leadership Mission International’s primary duties include developing strategy, setting goals and objectives, overseeing programs and activities, and actively managing risks. Board members are the fiduciaries who steer the organization towards a sustainable future by adopting sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management policies, as well as by making sure the organization has adequate resources to advance its mission. LMI has opportunities to serve on the Board of Directors or on one of its committees listed below.
LMI’s core values are woven into our many team members, including the Board of Directors and committee members. Our team members possess character, integrity, talent, experience, and loyalty to our mission.
The Board responsibilities are governance, planning, resourcing, management, and compliance as set forth in the Articles of Incorporation and the Bylaws. The Board has total authority over and total accountability for LMI. The corporate bylaws define how the Board of Directors are elected while this charter details the roles and responsibilities of each member. The Board of Directors shall be responsible for the approvals of the following:
Governance and Compliance:
- Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws
- Mission, Vision, Core Values, and Strategic Roadmap
- Ensure Legal and Ethical Integrity
- Legal—regulatory/governmental filings, corporate records, policies and procedures
- Employment contracts
- Policy Manual
- Any agreement that could be of material importance to the organization (leases, large purchases, etc.)
- General Oversight and Evaluation of Organization
- Board’s primary relationship is with Executive Director and VP/Treasurer
Financial Oversight and Accountability:
- Annual Operating Plan and Annual Operation Budget
- Taxes—IRS reporting, tax requirements, donor statements, etc.
- Borrowing, Lending of money, or long-term expenditures
- Employee benefit plans (401(k), profit-sharing, health insurance, etc.
- Safeguard assets and ensure no unnecessary risks
We expect the Board of Directors to:
- Enthusiastically support the mission over a two-year commitment
- Participate in all Board Meetings
- Visit at our Honduras campus at least once during each two-year board term
- Contribute or assist with fundraising activities annually
- Sponsor, mentor, encourage, and/or visit students
- Contribute personal time and value via service and relevant experiences
- Provide active support by serving on a board committee
If you are interested in being considered for a board position or a committee position, please send us an email.
You do not need to be a board member to serve on a committee. Here is a list of committees that your skills may be a perfect fit to serve:
Curriculum and Instruction
This Committee will provide oversight, advising, and development to curricular needs for the academic program of LMI. This committee is also responsible for recruiting and hiring high-quality teachers and leaders.
This committee will provide a platform for graduates to maintain relationships and give and receive encouragement and mentorship in support of our ongoing mission. This committee will work to provide mentorship to our alumni to support them as engaged and visible leaders and change agents in their own and other local communities.
This committee will ensure clear and consistent messaging across all media and print communication platforms and ensure regular resource solicitation through a variety of mediums. The committee will also support communication between students and supporters.
This committee will fundraise and create strategic relationships. This committee will oversee foundational charitable giving, identification of foundations and other sources of giving, writing letters of intent and grant proposals, and submission of artifacts. This committee will also establish and maintain formal and informal relationships with Churches, Colleges and Universities and Businesses who wish to support the mission of the LMI.